Saturday, May 31, 2014

Sweet as Honey

I've been knitting away on my cowl, although it's now gotten so warm outside it makes a cowl look a bit ridiculous. I don't think I've mentioned before that it's the Honey cowl pattern, although I knit it with lighter yarn, fingering weight. The yarn is actually Gritty Knits, as I know I've mentioned about 15 times before, I'm in her Merino-of-the-month club and this fiber was from January 2013. I spun it awhile back and didn't put it away in the stash. It just sat there, looking at me, begging to be knit so I finally caved. I tried it in a lovely shawl pattern. It didn't work. The colors were great but the bouncy puffiness of the yarn completely hid the lovely lace. So, I changed it up. I started this cowl.
I used a fingering-weight cowl pattern to know how many to cast on and I can say; I don't love how big it is. It's a little too wide. I may have to stick a shawl pin or something in it to keep it close around the neck so it isn't too loose and not warming. I did manage to finally decide I'd knit it tall enough though and cast off. It's about 8 inches tall and that's plenty for a cowl in my opinion.

I really like the way it came out. The stripes are especially fun and the simple slip stitch pattern was mostly fun to knit. Toward the middle it slogged a bit but I decided to just keep going and somewhere along the way, I found my joy in the simplicity again.
One of the best things?

This little ball of leftovers. I'm thinking it just might be enough for some very simple, short little handwarmers. Which will totally match the cowl. How fun is that?
Sweet as (handspun) honey.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ahhh it's gorgeous, I love the color! I need to make one of those cowls, I keep seeing ones I love but have yet to do it!